Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Los Molinos - Digital vs Lomo

While in Consuegra, Spain (June 2011) visiting the windmills made so famous by Don Quixote, I brought both my Diana Mini and my digital point and shoot. I thought by including both digital and lomo photos of the same material, it would help clarify some differences between digital photography and lomography. Here are some digital photos from the trip:










Here are some lomo photos from the trip:




Although my recent obsession is lomography, I really enjoy digital photography as well. One obvious advantage is the amount of photographs you can take - essentially unlimited. With a lomo camera, you're limited by the amount of film (or money for film haha) you have. Also, with a digital camera you get immediate results and can adjust future photos accordingly; with a lomo camera it's always a surprise! Both are great in their own way.


With my lomography photos I don't do any digital adjusting, but I love playing with the colors and effects on my digital photos (as you can see above). If you're looking to have cool color effects or B&W in your lomo photos but you don't like digitally altering yours either, you can buy different films (B&W, color tint film, etc.). I haven't used these films yet but I'm excited to give them a try to see how it compares!


The format size of the picture can also vary from digital to lomography (depending on what lomo camera you have). With the Diana Mini, I can choose between the square format (as seen above) or half format (two smaller pictures side by side in one photo).


As you might be able to tell, the colors and focus of a digital picture vs. lomo picture also vary. The lomography photos tend to have a more "vintage" dreamy look, while the digital photos are usually crisper and brighter. What type of look you want depends on your subject and personal preference. Most lomo cameras are also capable of multiple exposures (without a fancy expensive digital program), which is a lot of fun! I especially like how the multiple exposure adds movement to the bottom left and right photos (don't the windmills almost look like they're moving?), and an almost ghostly effect to the bottom middle.


I guess a lot of what it comes down to in the end is control (digital) vs. surprise (lomo). If you want to be able to zoom, take tons of pictures, get immediate feedback, and a more exact photo, digital's the way to go. If you're looking to experiment, try cool film effects, and get a different color palette, grab a lomography camera (in my case, the Diana Mini)!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Hey Meg!
    Really love this new blog! Very interested in the half format...nice job on the last pic at home (Plum Is) and first pic in Spain.
    So life has been crazy and I still haven't ordered my camera but it will happen and I will be asking for lots of long distance advice.
    Miss u!
    xoxoxox-Paula

    ReplyDelete