Sunday, December 18, 2011

Nugget Art: Holiday Poetry

So I know that I haven't posted any nugget art in a while; we've been doing lots of holiday crafts (turkey hands, paper snowflakes, etc.) that every american is already familiar with - no need to bore you with that! My most recent project with the kids was actually in the english class. It's not the visual art that my blog normally focuses on, but poetry is art too, right?


The poem is called My Reindeer, and I included the beginning of the lines to help them get started and to make sure they understood the difference between the verbs (they tend to mix them up). Here are the lines I gave them: It sees...It hears...It is...It has...It likes...It can...It eats...It dreams of...


If you do a writing project like this with any 8 or 9 year olds, I guarantee you'll get some entertaining results. Add to the mix that they're writing a poem in a second language they haven't mastered and the results are even better (random words are thrown in with the sole reason that it's the only one they could think of). The poems I got from the nuggets range from hilarious to perceptive to absolute nonsense; I dare you to read the following lines I took from some of the poems without cracking a smile :)


"It is ground beef."


"It has all the clams."


"It likes papers."


"It eats presents."


"It is a delivery of pizza."


"It has a teddy with a tutu of Santa."


"It can fly with rollerblades."


"It dreams of a snowman in the shower."


"It eats pizza with cheese."


"It eats the whole world."


"It hears Ho Ho Ho!"


"It eats carrots, grass and chocolate."


"It dreams of being a rabbit."


"It sees an angel. It hears her sing."


"It hears to listen."


"It eats christmas trees."


"It hears your words. It is a good animal."


"It sees the happiness of the children."


"It is the king of the gifts."


"It has a heart very big."


"It dreams of angels."


"It sees when you are sleeping."


"It dreams of one flower two pink houses and the blue doors."


"It is a toy when you are a boy."


"It can draw the magic."


"It hears the song of Danza Kuduro."


"It can laugh with the children."


"It can drink whiskey."


"It dreams of a crazy clown."


"It sees the stars with his big eyes."


"It is a big and strong reindeer called John."


"It likes flying in the sky with the stars."


"It sees the three kings walking to the star."


"It eats christmas flowers."


"It has a nose as red as a tomato."


"It dreams of flying to space."


"It dreams of children and becoming real."


"It dreams of being a human."


I hope you enjoyed the nugget poets as much as I did! Any favorite lines? They're all so good!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I like the last one... it dreams of being human. Too funny! Reminds me of funny letters to Santa I got a few years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness those are so flipping cute!!!! You are making me miss being there so much, I just want to scoop them all up and give them big hugs!

    ReplyDelete