Saturday, October 8, 2011

Born Into Brothels

I first saw the film Born Into Brothels in high school. Although I had always appreciated art in my own life, it was one of my first introductions to the idea of how powerful art (in this case, photography) can be. It can be a medium of self-expression, therapeutic processes, cultural representation, social critique and reform, and more. This rings especially true for children: often they struggle with the necessary skills to verbally express their emotions, conflicts, thoughts and experiences, and prefer a visual or tactile expression that feels more natural to them. If you haven't already seen the film, here's the trailer about the extraordinary woman who brings photography to the equally extraordinary children of the red-light district in Calcutta, India:




The film also makes clear the astounding capabilities children have in the field of art - their photographs are absolutely beautiful. If you haven't seen the documentary, definitely check it out!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness that looks soooooo gooooood! I cant wait to watch it.

    ReplyDelete