Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Realistic Self Portraits - Nugget Art!

First things first. Before J. Alfano starts lawyer-ing all over this blog, she is the one who started using the word "nugget(s)" for little kids. All props to Jessica. Legalities aside, I'm going to start doing a weekly(ish) post on the art class I'm teaching to the 4th grade kids at the bilingual school. I know this is technically a photography blog, but who doesn't love nugget art? Kids are hilarious.


Last week was my first week teaching the art class, and I think I'm really going to love it! We started off the year by talking about self-portraits. I explained to them how a self-portrait can be of your face, your body, or you doing something you like BUT shouldn't include other people. Then I explained the difference between "realistic" and "abstract". Last week they all did their realistic self portraits and today they worked on their abstract self-portraits (which they were SUPER excited about, since there are practically no rules). I had them bring in magazines so they could collage or draw their abstract self-portrait, as it only needed to be a representation of themselves, not an exact depiction. We talked about collage and I showed them some examples - they seemed to really enjoy it! But more of that next week, when I get their finished abstract self-portraits (and can upload them here). 


Here are some examples of the nuggets' realistic (well, "realistic") self-portraits! I think they're SUPER adorable, don't you agree?


Natali - I love that she was the only one to
use markers, plus she filled up the page really
well (a lot of them struggle with that).
David - Who doesn't love monkeys?
Especially when they stand on
trees!
Alicia - Check out the highlighter sun! Also, anyone
who loves dogs enough to put them in a self-portrait
is flomography approved.


Eva Maria - Well drawn! She told me she
likes cheering for her brother awww


Alejandra - Sure, balloons and hearts don't
fall from the sky in real-life, but don't you kind of
wish they did? Admit it, she might be onto something.


Pablo - Um, awesome? Future wildlife
photographer? I'm absolutely in love with this
drawing for the completely biased reason that it's
about photography. And animals.


Vera - I love the bunny. ohmygod look how
cute he is, with his little bunny nose and
whiskers! Granted they're not realistic, but
I love the sun and the cloud too! 

6 comments:

  1. I love this!!!!! I can't wait to see the abstract pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahahaha what a lovely way to end the day, I was in tears laughing at your commentary! More comments to come in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't read past the first paragraph but this is a fantastic post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ¨anonymous¨ comment, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jajaja--->spanish comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like monkeys.

    I do like bunnies.

    Vera wins.

    ReplyDelete